Turkish Airlines: flight delayed, cancelled or overbooked? You may be entitled to compensation
Was your flight with Turkish Airlines delayed, cancelled or overbooked? Then you have the right to claim up to € 600,- per person from the airline. Some criteria must be met, but you can check your flight for free with our claim calculator below and find out if you can claim compensation.
Your rights as a passenger when travelling with Turkish Airlines
According to Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 of the European Parliament, you are entitled to compensation if a flight is delayed for three hours or more, or if you've arrived at your final destination with a delay greater than two hours after a cancellation (when you were informed of the disruption is also important). If your flight was overbooked and you were denied boarding, you may also be entitled to compensation.
Was your flight cancelled because of the coronavirus? Then you are entitled to the refund of your ticket or booking!
The aviation sector has been severely affected by the coronavirus outbreak. This obviously has consequences for air traffic and airlines, but it is precisely now that the rights of air passengers are of importance. The European Commission has confirmed that in the event of a flight being cancelled, airlines must give passengers a choice between receiving travel vouchers or the reimbursement of the ticket costs.
Coronavirus: What are my rights when a flight is cancelled?
If your flight is cancelled because of the coronavirus, you are entitled to a complete refund of your ticket. European Regulation EC 261/2004 obliges the airline to refund the full price of the ticket within 7 days in case of a cancelled flight. Currently, many airlines and travel agencies only offer vouchers that can be used to book a new flight in the future. However, this voucher policy is not in compliance with European legislation. In addition, vouchers often do not provide any guarantee. If an airline goes into administration, passengers holding a travel voucher will lose their money.
What am I entitled to if my flight is cancelled due the ongoing COVID-19 crisis?
If your flight is cancelled because of the coronavirus outbreak, you are not entitled to compensation. However, you are in fact entitled to the full refund of your ticket. The coronavirus crisis is considered an extraordinary circumstance, which exempts the airline from the obligation to compensate passengers for the cancellation of their flight.
Important: supplementary compensation is not the same as the right to the reimbursement of the ticket! Even when affected by the coronavirus outbreak, airlines are legally obliged to refund the full amount within 7 days after the flight cancellation.
I have already received a voucher, can I still opt for the refund of my flight?
Even if the airline has already offered you a voucher, you can make a claim for the full refund of your booking's price. If you have purchased your booking with other amenities (package travel) you are still entitled to the refund of the whole package.
Flight-Delayed.co.uk will be happy to help you claim the refund of your cancelled flight or booking
Unfortunately, we see too often that airlines still fail to comply with the legal obligations. Passengers are forced to accept vouchers when they are actually entitled to a refund of their fare.
Flight-Delayed.co.uk will be happy to help you claim the full refund. From submitting the claim to taking the airline to the courts in the event of non-payment. Since 2010, we have been committed to upholding the rights of affected air passengers throughout Europe. Fill in your flight details and find out immediately whether you are entitled to the refund of your ticket. In just 3 minutes you can submit your claim on a 'no win, no fee' basis. Should the airline obstruct the process, we will take them to court if necessary. All legal costs are covered by our 25% fee.
What conditions make you eligible for compensation when flying Turkish Airlines
- If your flight originated in a member state of the European Union.
- If you've missed your connecting flight after a delay originated in the EU.
- Deadline: You are eligible to claim compensation for up to 6 years (in the United Kingdom and Ireland) after the date of the flight. Make sure you stay within this time frame.
- Length of your delay: If your flight has been delayed, you are eligible for compensation if you arrive at your final destination with a delay of 3 hours or more. When it comes to cancellations, you are eligible if you've arrived at your final destination with a delay of 2 hours or more. When you were informed of your cancellation might influence if you are entitled to receive compensation.
Eligibility to receive compensation for a flight delay or cancellation may only apply if:
- You have a confirmed reservation for a flight.
- You are not travelling free of charge or at a reduced fare. For example, if you work for an operator and are travelling for free on their behalf.
- You are not travelling on a cancelled package tour that was cancelled for other reasons than the cancellation of the flight.
If your flight is disrupted, you must receive the appropriate care by Turkish Airlines
The Regulations establish that you should also be taken care of in case of a flight delay, cancellation or if your boarding is denied. This is besides receiving compensation, so if the airline has provided you with the appropriate care you may still be entitled to be compensated. The airline must offer you the following:
- Meals and refreshments depending on the passengers’ waiting time.
- Hotel accommodation if you are required to stay overnight or circumstances arise in which the passenger is in need of additional necessary stay on top of what the passenger had predetermined
How much compensation can you claim for a Turkish Airlines flight?
- €250 for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less between both destinations.
- €400 for all intra-EU flights (between two EU members) of more than 1500 kilometres as well as for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres.
- €600 for all other flights that do not count under the conditions mentioned above.*
*You may only receive 50% of the amount if you have reached your final destination with a delay greater than three hours but less than four. The total amount to receive in compensation is set in the regulation and is defined in Euros.
Possible difficulties when claiming compensation from an airline
You are not entitled to receive compensation for your flight's disruption if it has been delayed or cancelled because of an extraordinary circumstance. These may include:
- Political unrest
- Weather conditions that make it difficult for the flight to operate safely.
- Security risks
- Unexpected flight safety shortcomings (unsafe/faulty aircraft)
- Wildcat strikes in which an aircraft is unable to fly due to missing crew, pilots and other operating staff.
However, airlines often misuse the argument of extraordinary circumstances to reject claims that are perfectly valid. Therefore, passengers need to take the airlines to court in order to receive the compensation that they are entitled to.
The documents and information needed to claim your compensation from Turkish Airlines
In order to claim compensation for your flight delay or cancellation, you’ll need to prove that you held a booking to travel on the disrupted flight. This is often confirmed with information and documents that you are given when you receive your booking confirmation.
Important documents and receipts in relation to the flight or the delay
- Flight documents (boarding pass, booking confirmation, e-ticket, delay statement, etc.)
- Receipts for additional costs (e.g. taxi, food and accommodation)
Recommendations to make the process of claiming compensation easier:
Keep track and record your important flight data.
- Flight number
- When and where you are flying and your destination (arrival and departure schedule)
- Details of your delay: final flight and departure time
Do you know anything about the reasons for the delay?
- Have you asked Turkish Airlines' staff?
- Is there a storm or other weather conditions that might affect your flight?
- Check if other flights are delayed.
Use our claim calculator to check if you might be eligible for compensation.
- Simply submit the flight number and date to discover how much you may receive
Compensation if your Turkish Airlines flight has been affected by a strike
Strikes are part of flight irregularities. According to Regulation (EC) No 261/2004, you are not able to claim compensation if the strike is to be determined a "wildcat strike". However, if the airline was informed previously and had the opportunity to avoid all disruptions, you may be very well entitled to compensation. If you are still unsure if you have the right to claim, you can submit your claim with Flight-Delayed and our team will check the circumstances that affected your flight.
Service and Customer Satisfaction within Turkish Airlines
In 2018 Turkish Airlines ranked in 10th place amongst the biggest airlines in the world. From August 2019, the airline operates to and from 306 destinations using 346 aircraft. Last year, Turkish Airlines transported 75+ million passengers with low rates of delay, ranking in 12th place with an on-time performance of 75.39%.
Flights to Turkey and Turkish airlines: basic information
Turkey is a great holiday destination, due to the country's moderate weather. If you're looking for low-cost flights to Turkey, you may want to know which airlines fly directly to the main holiday destinations. Turkey has many airports, the largest one of which is Atatürk International Airport in Istanbul. For holidaymakers, the most important Turkish airports would be Antalya Airport and Adnan Menderes Airport (İzmir), which are the hubs for many of Turkey's most popular summer holiday destinations Bodrum, Fethiye, Marmaris, Kuşadası, Çeşme, Didim and Alanya.
Antalya flights operating directly from the UK (departure airport, duration of the flight, airlines operating this route)
Leeds - 4h 15m - Monarch
London - 4h 10m - easyJet, Monarch
Manchester - 4h 32m - Monarch, easyJet
If you want to fly directly to İzmir from the UK, you can fly with EasyJet or Pegasus (a Turkish airline) from London. If you don't mind transferring, you can fly to Istanbul with many (low-cost) European or Turkish airlines:
Istanbul flights operating directly from the UK (departure airport, duration of the flight, airlines operating this route)
Birmingham - 3h 50m - Turkish Airlines
Edinburgh - 4h 20m - Turkish Airlines
London - 3h 48m - Turkish Airlines, British Airways
Manchester - UK 3h 50m - Turkish Airlines
Other large Turkish airlines include Corendon Airlines, Freebird Airlines, Onur Air, Sun Express and Tailwind Airlines.
Flight-Delayed will fact-check the airline if your flight has been delayed or cancelled
If you are sure that your circumstances match those of the conditions mentioned above then let us assist you with your claim. Using our databases and legal expertise, we can determine if you really are eligible for compensation for your Turkish Airlines flight disruption.
We are able to take care of all the processes involved with claiming and are more than happy to take the hassle off your hands.We operate under a no win, no fee structure. If we need to take your case to court, we'll take on all of the risks and cover the legal fees. Only if you get paid will we charge a 25% success fee. And finally, we have a 98% success rate in court.
Questions? Contact us!
Have you read the information but still have questions that you would like us to answer? Contact us! we are more than happy to assist you with any of your queries. You can email us at email@example.com or contact us on Facebook or Twitter.
Trustpilot-Reviews of Flight-Delayed.co.uk