How much liquid are you allowed to pack in your hand luggage?
Sunday, May 25, 2014
The never ending question when flying with hand luggage: How much liquid is allowed on board? The rules are pretty straightforward, and yet there is still much confusion. Here are the highlights that will help you get through security smoothly. These apply to flight within the EU.
- You’re limited to 1 plastic bag per person
- Each container must hold no more than 100ml
- Containers should be in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm
- Liquids in containers larger than 100ml generally can’t go through security even if the container is only part full
- Liquids essential for medical purposes
- Liquids for special dietary requirements
- Baby food or baby milk
Note: You may have to prove that you are entitled to an exemption.
Lastly: Liquids bought in the duty free area of the airport are permitted if
- the items are sealed inside a security bag when you buy them
- the receipt for the items is sealed in the security bag and visible