easyJet strike in Spain to continue in August — pilots fight to restore pre-pandemic working conditions
Tuesday, August 9, 2022
After several days of strike in July, the easyJet Spanish pilots' union (SEPLA) has once again called for a multiday strike in August. Thousands of passengers travelling with the low-cost airline will likely have their easyJet flights cancelled or disrupted.
easyJet strikes — why are they happening?
After six months of unsuccessful negotiations, the representatives of easyJet pilots have once again called for a strike. The pilots demand that the airline restore their working conditions from before the pandemic. In addition, the union claims that easyJet is not willing to negotiate a second collective bargaining agreement and that it is not offering pilots fair working conditions since in Spain these are much worse than those of pilots in other countries.
What should you know about the easyJet strike?
The union has laid out the following strike rules:
- Each strike period will last 72 hours.
- The dates coincide on weekends.
- The strikes will take place on August 12, 13 and 14; August 19, 20, and 21; and August 27, 28 and 29.
What should I do if my flight is delayed or cancelled due to the easyJet strike?
As an air passenger you have rights, and European and British regulations protect them.
In the event of an airline strike, these regulations state that:
- If your flight is delayed by more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation per flight of up to £520 per passenger.
- If your flight is cancelled with a notice of less than 14 days, you are also entitled to flight compensation.
- If your flight gets cancelled and you don’t accept the alternative flight offered by the airline (or the airline does not offer you one at all), you can also claim a ticket refund.
The amount of flight compensation depends on the distance of your flight:
How to claim flight compensation for my delayed or cancelled easyJet flight?
Uploading all your documents on our website will only take a few minutes, and our experts will take it from there, doing all the work for you and increasing your chances of receiving easyJet flight compensation.