Can I claim if I don't know the reason for my flight delay or cancellation? - We've got your back!
Thursday, October 11, 2018
Sometimes things don’t go as planned. When that happens, the travel world can be challenging. This needs to change, because people have the right to get support and to be treated with respect. No worries, we are here to help!
Welcome back to our blog series: We’ve got your back! Here we will answer very common questions that we have been asked frequently by our customers. If you have any questions you'd like us to answer directly or in a blog post, do not wait for a second longer and send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll get back to you ASAP!
I don't know the reason for my flight delay. Can I still file my claim?
Hi Francisco, thank you for sending us your question.
Anna: Yes, sure! Every day we receive numerous claims in which our customers do not know the reason for the delay or cancellation. Our team uses our database to find out the reason for the delay. The database we have created has had data for years. Therefore, even if you want to claim an older flight, we can find out the reason for the delay. In the UK and Ireland, you can claim compensation up to 6 years after the delay or cancellation.
Anna from the team at Flight-Delayed.co.uk
How can I claim compensation for my flight?
To claim compensation, your delayed or cancelled flight must meet a number of conditions. First, your flight must be at least 3 hours late. This means that you must have arrived at your final destination 3 hours (or more) later than planned. Please note that sometimes the flight takes off with a delay of just over 3 hours but makes up for some of the time lost during the flight and finally arrives with a delay of less than 3 hours.
How much money can I claim if my flight has been delayed or cancelled?
In case of delay or cancellation, the amount of compensation depends on the destination of your flight as it is determined by the distance of the route covered:
- You are entitled to a compensation of up to £250 for flights up to 1,500 kilometres.
- For all flights within the European Union of more than 1,500 kilometres, you are entitled to a compensation of up to £350.
- For all flights outside the European Union between 1,500 and 3,500 kilometres, you are entitled to a compensation of up to £350.
- For all other flights, you are entitled to a compensation of up to £530.
When can I claim my delayed or cancelled flight?
Although the amount of compensation remains exactly the same for a delayed or cancelled flight, the conditions under which you are compensated vary depending on the disruption. In both cases, you will not be entitled to compensation in the event of extraordinary circumstances. In other words, the reason for the delay or cancellation must be the responsibility of the airline to receive compensation.
When do I qualify for compensation?
The air carrier is not obliged to compensate you under the following conditions:
- You have been informed of the cancellation 14 days before your scheduled departure.
- They informed you of the cancellation of the flight between 7 and 14 days before, but they offered you an alternative flight that would allow you to reach your final destination with a delay of less than 4 hours. And, this flight would not depart 2 hours earlier than planned.
- You were informed of the cancellation of your flight within seven days before departure, but you were offered an alternative flight that allowed you to reach your final destination with a delay of less than 2 hours. And this flight would not depart one hour earlier than planned.
The airline is not obligated to indemnify you for a delayed flight when:
The delay did not exceed three hours upon arrival at your final destination. If your flight was delayed and you missed your connecting flight as a result, you will also be entitled to compensation if you arrived at your final destination more than 3 hours late.
More questions? Learn more about your rights as a passenger here. If you would like us to start working for you as soon as possible, you can always submit your claim using our compensation calculator: